In today’s age of modern dentistry, dental implants stand out as a groundbreaking solution for those seeking to restore their smile to its full glory by replacing missing teeth. But as with any medical procedure, having the right understanding and setting clear expectations is paramount.
Moreover, the right dental clinic can make all the difference, ensuring not just a successful implant procedure but also a comfortable, stress-free experience. And if you’re in Perth, there’s one name that resonates with unparalleled excellence in implant dental care: West Coast Dental Care. Join us as we unravel the intricacies of the dental implant procedure and discover why West Coast Dental Care is your go-to destination.
Understanding dental implants
Dental implants are essentially artificial tooth roots, usually constructed from titanium, that offer a robust base for fixed (permanent) or removable replacement teeth. The appeal of dental implants lies in their design, which seamlessly complements natural teeth, ensuring that they’re not just functional, but aesthetically pleasing as well.
The process of getting dental implants
Dental implants have revolutionised the world of dentistry, offering a robust, lasting solution for tooth replacement. They not only replicate the aesthetics of natural teeth but also their function. For those considering this transformative procedure, understanding each step can help demystify the process and set clear expectations. Here’s a detailed walkthrough of the entire dental implant procedure, from consultation to the final restoration.
Initial consultation & comprehensive planning
- Examination: Your dental journey kicks off with a comprehensive oral check-up. This involves understanding your dental and overall medical history, assessing oral hygiene, and potential risk factors. Common risk factors include smoking and some medical conditions.
- Diagnostic tests: Digital X-rays, CT scans, and 3D imaging might be employed to get a detailed view of your jawbone and the location of other structures like nerves. These images play a crucial role in planning the exact position of the implant in the bone. Commonly, this is how the diagnostic process starts. However, the one other crucial factor that often is missed and commonly leads to problems is how this bone position relates to where the future tooth is expected to be. In fact, the future planned position of the new tooth should define where the implant should be placed and not the other way around. The proper term for this is that the implant procedure should be “prosthodontically” driven – that means that whoever is going to be fixing the tooth part of the implant, should be communicating and directing the exact position of where the implant should be placed by the surgeon.
- Treatment plan development: Based on diagnostics and your specific needs, a personalised treatment plan is drafted, outlining the stages of the procedure and any preparatory work required.
Tooth extraction & preparatory procedures
- If the tooth or teeth that are hopeless are still present in the mouth, our professionals will undertake a meticulous extraction procedure. The significance of this extraction procedure is very often under-played and the importance of this and the skill of the specific operator is often seldom understood. The skill of the operator makes a huge difference in the degree of success of the final tooth on the implant.
- In some instances, due to gum disease or other factors, there may be inadequate bone to anchor the implant. Bone grafting or sinus lifts may be suggested to augment the bone quality and quantity.
- The surgical area is numbed using local anaesthesia (or, in some cases, general anaesthesia or sedation).
- Our surgeons then make a precise incision in the gum tissue, revealing the underlying bone, in which they will meticulously drill a hole to house the implant.
- Following this, the sturdy implant, which is designed to emulate the natural tooth root’s function, is securely embedded into the jawbone, paving the way for further steps in the implant procedure.
- Depending on the quantity and quality of bone, the implant placement procedure may be defined as a “1-stage” or “2-stage” process. This may also be affected by whether bone augmentation is done in the surgical phase.
Osseointegration & healing
- Following implant insertion, the bone begins its natural healing process, growing around the implant in a phenomenon known as osseointegration. This fusion is left to mature, normally between 12-16 weeks, thus anchoring the implant securely in place.
- To accommodate the patient’s needs during this healing phase and to retain the aesthetics and functionality of their smile, our dental professionals might recommend the use of temporary crowns or bridges, thus ensuring that there’s minimal interference to your everyday activities.
Once the osseointegration process has been successfully completed, which is often verified through radiographs, the next step may begin and is dependent on how the implant was placed:
- If a “1 step procedure”, we move directly to the final tooth restoration.
- If a “2 stage procedure” then it will involve a minor surgical intervention prior to the final tooth restoration. This allows the connection to the previously submerged implant for the final tooth restoration. The final tooth restoration can normally be performed about 4 weeks after this procedure.
Final tooth restoration
- Impressions of your mouth are taken to custom-design the crown, bridge, or denture that will sit on the abutment.
- These prosthetics are crafted to match the shape, size, and colour of your natural teeth, ensuring a seamless appearance.
- Once meticulously crafted to perfection, these prosthetics are securely fixed in place, marking the culmination of a transformative journey towards a radiant and confident smile.
The safety of dental implants
Dental implants are backed by decades of research and application. In Australia, dental practitioners, particularly the team at West Coast Dental Care, adhere to stringent sterilisation and clinical guidelines—this ensures procedures are conducted in the safest environments.
While the success rate is notably high, it’s essential to be aware of potential, though rare, risks like infection, sinus issues, or nerve damage. Opting for experienced Australian dental clinics like West Coast Dental Care and carefully following our detailed but easy-to-understand post-operative instructions can substantially mitigate these risks.
Advantages of dental implants
- Natural aesthetics: Dental implants excel in replicating the appearance and functionality of natural teeth. Designed with precision, they seamlessly blend with the rest of your teeth, enhancing your smile’s beauty. With implants, you can confidently smile, assured of its natural appeal.
- Durability & stability: When compared to loose teeth or dentures, dental implants are a robust alternative. Anchored in the jawbone, they offer lasting stability and normally allows the patient a completely different to the experience of eating. It is the closest possible alternative to natural teeth. With proper care, they’re a long-term investment in your dental health, promising decades of reliability.
- Bone health: A side effect of tooth loss is bone resorption, where the jawbone begins to weaken. Dental implants counteract this by stimulating the jawbone, similar to natural tooth roots, preserving both bone density and facial structure.
Why choose West Coast Dental Care?
In the vibrant city of Perth, there’s a dental haven that rises above the rest, setting new standards in oral health and dental services: West Coast Dental Care. Here’s why you should consider booking your next dental appointment for dental implants or any other kind of dentistry with us:
Holistic & comprehensive service range
- Diverse procedures: At West Coast Dental Care, we pride ourselves on our versatile service range. Whether it’s a basic filling, a piece of advice on oral hygiene, or exploring cutting-edge treatments in cosmetic and restorative dentistry, including dental implants, we’ve got you covered.
- Expertise & experience: Helmed by Dr Paul Gorgolis, our clinic boasts an impressive record. He believes that nobody knows everything about everything – some people might think they do, however, they tend to be sorely mistaken. As a result of this ethos and with over 25 years in the field, Dr Gorgolis has built a team of people with exceptional skills in the different fields of dentistry and together with them doing what they do best, the team have looked after over 32,000 patients, checked more than a million teeth, and bring a wealth of experience to the table.
An emphasis on comfort
- Welcoming atmosphere: Our dental centre is not just about procedures and treatments. We have consciously designed our clinic to exude warmth and comfort. From the moment you step in, there’s a sense of ease and tranquillity.
- Soothing environments: Understandably, dental visits can be nerve-wracking for many. At West Coast Dental Care, we’ve crafted a calming ambience and duty of care, ensuring that your experience is as stress-free as possible.
- Dental care is as much about skills as it is about tools. We operate with industry-leading equipment, leveraging the most recent technological advancements. This guarantees precision, safety, and the highest standard of dental work.
Unparalleled customer service
- At the heart of our operation is a genuine care for our patients. We prioritise a high level of customer service, ensuring every individual feels valued and heard. If there are specific needs or concerns, our doors and ears are always open.
Team of specialists
- Expertise: Our Wembley clinic is not just a dental facility; it’s a hub of expertise. We house a dedicated team of clinicians, each a maestro in their respective domain. Yet, it’s the collaborative spirit and shared vision that truly sets us apart. Every patient gains access to a comprehensive pool of knowledge, ensuring holistic care.
- Tailored treatments: Recognising the uniqueness of each patient, our treatments are custom-designed to individual requirements, ensuring optimal results.
- For individuals who feel anxious about dental visits, we’ve got a special ‘nervous patients programme’. This initiative is designed to make even the most anxious visitors feel at ease, ensuring their dental health isn’t compromised due to fear.
- Keeping in tune with the digital age, our seamless online booking system ensures that scheduling your next appointment is just a click away.
In essence, West Coast Dental Care isn’t just about dental procedures; it’s about an experience, one that prioritises your comfort, health, and well-being. With an impeccable track record and an unwavering commitment to excellence, it’s no wonder we’re Perth’s premier choice.
A beautiful smile is more than just aesthetics; it’s a reflection of your overall health, confidence, and well-being. With dental implants, you have the power to reclaim that radiant smile, ensuring both function and aesthetics. And while the journey of dental implants is transformative, the choice of your dental clinic is pivotal.
At West Coast Dental Care, we’re not just offering a service; we’re gifting you an experience—one of comfort, precision, and absolute care. Ready to embark on your dental journey? Choose West Coast Dental Care, where excellence meets empathy. Book your appointment online or have a chat with our friendly team today and take the first step towards a brighter, healthier smile.